We love a sweet story about a pet adoption, and once in a while there are those that stick with you — like the Pit Bull whose 8-year-old owner adored him so much that she wrote instructions for his new owner, or the 18-year-old dog whose adopter was so excited to meet her that he was waiting at the shelter when it opened.
In honor of National Adopt a Shelter Pet Day, we’ve pulled together five of our recent favorites in the gallery below. If you’re thinking about bringing a shelter pet into your life, here’s what you need to know.
5 Fantastic Forever Homes
5 of the Sweetest Pet Adoption Stories of 2016
Our 6 Favorite Animal Rescue Stories of 2016
Animals Rescued by Police and Firefighters
5 Dog-and-Owner Reunions That Will Make You Cry
More on Vetstreet:
- Photos: Our Readers’ Adorable Adopted Pets
- 8 Must-Haves for Your New Dog
- Advice for Your First Animal Shelter Visit
- 8 Essentials for Your New Cat
- Adding a Second Dog to Your Family? Consider This First